Friday, November 23, 2018

My Bookshelf tag

This week I figured it's time to show you guys my bookshelf. I have moved 10+ times including across the country in the past 5 years, so my book selection has been massively pared down from what it once was, and doesn't reflect the collection I want to have someday when I'm in a place I know I'll be for a while, and have the money.

In those years I've been reading mostly in ebook form and audiobook form through Project Gutenberg and Librivox.org, both of which I *cannot* recommend enough because they are absolutely 100% free and legal, as it's all content that's in the public domain and volunteer read. There are also apps to make it more accessible.

I'll take you through which books are on my shelf and the stories that go with them. I'm also going to tag a few of my fellow bloggers that I think are really interesting, and I'll bet they have great collections!




My Books


Flatland , Flatterland, Sphereland (and "The Dot And The Line" which I don't have yet)- my favorite series-not-series by five different authors



In 10th grade math class, I had a teacher that for the first time explained math in a way that I understood. It was after I had discovered Flatland and started reading it, and we were having a class on plotting formulas on a graph and somehow the discussion of the 4th dimension came up, and the teacher went into an explanation on how it would look to pass a 3D ball through a 2D plane.
He said it would look like a dot on a piece of paper getting bigger and bigger and then gradually smaller, as only one tiny slice of the ball would be in the 2D plane at the same time. Then he went on to tell us to imagine a tiny sphere appearing in our world, getting bigger and bigger and then smaller til it popped out of existence, which would be what a 4D ball would look like passing through our 3D world.  My poor tiny teenage mind exploded.



The Phantom Tollbooth



I love things that play with words and ideas, celebrating nonsense and forcing you to look at things in a certain way, or at least give them a second consideration. I read it as a child, and listened to its book-on-tape form on cassette in my elementary school library.














Katherine



This book I found at a house that was preparing for an estate sale. Most things had been packed up so what was left we were sorting through and could take home free. It's taped up at the edges and has no identifying writing on it, so I just took it on a whim. It's historical fiction that follows the life of a girl, set in the 13-1400s with rich descriptions of palaces and scenery but also deep interpersonal drama and conflict.






One Ballerina Two, Goodnight Moon

These are children's books that I feel formed my aesthetic and influence my art style and I count as inspiration in a long-running project I haven't yet written about, my children's book I've been illustrating very infrequently for the past few years.












 Next, a couple books on gardening and herbs, a book of beautiful fairy illustrations,

and a reference book to help me find specific books in my local library for a long-running mermaid/siren mythology project.























 Moby Dick

I had started reading Moby Dick around 2009, when I began going through the classics that I felt like I should at least know the plot of, if not fully understand, before becoming "a real adult" (I'm still waiting for that, btw) but couldn't really get into it, as at the time in school for my different classes I was reading things like the Great Gatsby , 1984 and the Iliad and Odyssey in school and everything felt like forced reading.
It was a few years later that I was at my dad's house on a Sunday and something on the History channel was playing in the background as I surfed the web and it was going over an account of a shipwreck, and referenced a passage from Moby Dick to illustrate a storm at sea, and the passage stopped me in my tracks to listen and gave me goosebumps, so I had to buy a copy. This is my one gilded book and the one book that I've treated myself to a nice copy of and spent a little money on, which is why when I'm not reading it, it's not on my shelf and is actually in a safe in two waterproof bags, with things like passports and important photos.


The Little'uns





The Prophet, given to me by a friend











My fiance's copy of The Perks of Being a Wallflower












A book of poetry by a personal inspiration of mine, Jane Kenyon, and the pre-publishing copy of my own book of poetry- soon to be released! 












My only DVD, in my possession since ~2008 and very reflective of my teenage obsession with Orlando Bloom and Kirsten Dunst

















My all time faves that I currently don't have copies of and things from my Thriftbooks wishlist-

Basically everything by J. R. R. Tolkien, all the Oz books, The Dot and the Line, Madeline and the subsequent Madeline books, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, all illustrated Winnie the Pooh stories, a few books on the Waldorf teaching methods, Bread Overhead and The Wanderer by Fritz Leiber, and Monet's Years at Giverny : Beyond Impressionism



Tagging Rules 

Share your book collection (if you have a ton, just share the ones you feel explain a little bit about yourself, your interests, and your background) and part or all of your wishlist, then tag friends you'd like to see do this post!

I tag -


Amy weston- bl0g- amywriteslife.com  vlog channel-  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnE4GD03M4dJt294Lgs8bjA/featured

Anne Carty- blog- foreverthewanderer.ie

Ruth Skelley- blog- therollingtwenties.com



1 comment:

Sam Space (Samantha) said...

I love books! I used to read books all the time when I had more time haha but it’s a great distraction and stress reliever too.