Friday, October 12, 2018

Blogtober Day 12: Jinxed






Today's post, because it will be coming out late, is on one that I wasn't sure I wanted to review. I don't have that many great things to say about it, and I didn't want to post an entirely negative post. Plus, some stressful things have been going on in my life and I wasn't sure if I was going to get to a post today, and worried about a late post not getting as many views. But if this doesn't get many views I'm sure it won't upset people.

This one is a classic YA story involving a young woman who is different from the others and has magical powers, and the struggle of realizing that in a small town of people who vehemently believe no such thing could ever exist. She's nearing her 16th birthday, when the powers will set in and become their strongest. But will she use them for good or evil?

I'm usually leery of these movies and shows that involve stories about pagan history and practices, because it's very rare that it's ever represented in any way accurate or even without the gratuitous use of symbols they don't understand and just throw everywhere to make other people who don't understand them scared. It's like painting the star of David on the walls and then claiming the house is haunted by devil worshiping demons because there's a star on the wall.

I watched the movie with a good friend, who promised me I'd like the book more and commented on a few parts of the movie that strayed from the book and how it originally went, which made more sense for me in some places. It's definitely the kind of book I like, where you are first in the real world that you know, but there's a tie in to something magical and mystical just out of reach. There's a reason to believe in the characters, you know they are capable of awesome things. 

I wasn't a fan of the acting outside of Emma Thompson being wickedly and deliciously evil. To be perfectly honest, there was a lot of awkward actor smiling in the parts that were meant to be dark and serious, and the main character came off as manipulative and somewhat predatory which made me super unable to like him or empathize with his causes in the story. Emmy Rossum did an alright job, but I don't think I could ever dislike her after loving the Phantom of the Opera and its iterations as much as I do. She can sing to me any day!









No comments: