Monday, October 8, 2018

Blogtober Day 8: Doctor Who



This one is not specifically spooky or Halloween themed but supernatural, sci fi, and contains a lot of monsters. Plus I am a big Doctor Who fan and dammit I was just so excited about the new season and enjoyed the first episode so much that I'm going to write about it! It is my blog after all.

I absolutely loved it. I've been keeping pretty quiet in the discussion because so much of it has been hate towards Peter Capaldi for his performance as a quirky, older Doctor which stands out against the previous few. My issue with this, and I'm aware of the hipster tone, is that before the reboot with Eccleston, the role of the Doctor was played mainly by older, white haired, quirky men and their acting is what solidified the Doctor and the show as a fan favorite and an important sci-fi niche. 

Jodie Whitaker had a beautiful performance and very reminiscent of Tennant and Smith's regeneration and first days in their new bodies. It was a great way of explaining the backstory of regeneration and having different forms without requiring a long explanation episode. Her performance wasn't as woman-centric as the hype seemed to have been making it out to be, but what she pointed out as the Doctor was that regeneration into a new body meant familiarizing & becoming a new person every time, so I expect throughout the show we'll see her step more into her own personality and doubtless shed some light on issues affecting women as she encounters resistance & sexism continuing her authority role as the Doctor and needing people's respect and cooperation.

Are you a Doctor Who fan? Who was your favorite Doctor?





3 comments:

Sassy Southrn Ma said...

I don’t watch this but a good friend of mine is obsessed!

Carly Tamara said...

I've never actually watched any Doctor Who but I know a load of people who are obsessed with it. I'm not usually into sci-fi programmes but I do know it's massively popular.

Carly xx // www.prettystyleofliving.wordpress.com

Kim said...

Happy to hear you enjoyed the first episode! I've heard mixed reviews about her performance but I loved it. I think she had a bit of a Matt Smith vibe to her and I'm looking forward to seeing more of her.