Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Blogtober Day 16: Hill House Horror




Today's post is on a Netflix original called The Haunting of Hill House. It plays with the timeline, so be warned there is some putting together to do with the plot, but not much. It's the story of a family that lived in a haunted house and the experiences of seeing ghosts and nightmares creeping into the real world carrying into adulthood. In the modern day, the children are grown and mostly live spread out over the country, leading their own lives but staying in contact if something goes wrong.

And something does go wrong, because the horrifying memories they all have and try to repress aren't done bothering them, and they can't keep pretending they were only childhood nightmares. Only two of them are willing to talk about it, one who capitalized on the stories and became a writer (and caused some tension within the family having their stories used and represented in ways they don't like), and the youngest, the one who originally saw the ghosts at night. Each of the siblings gets a call from their youngest sister, worried about something and mentioning the ghost that used to haunt them and caused them to flee their home and lose their mother, which became a big story in their local papers and continues to follow them in their current lives.
It's a great mix of horror and sibling relationships, honestly I'd say it's This Is Us with ghosts. Really good timing for Netflix to have a scary ghost-related series. 




On a personal note

In other news, I've got an important appointment today so I got some relaxing self care things to pamper myself after. I absolutely love all kinds of candles, this is a soy candle that smells deliciously vanilla-ey. Also got myself a face mask for my upset and dry hormonal skin. I know it's a little early but these fuzzy Christmas socks were on sale for $1 and my fiance pointed them out for me saying I should treat myself to some new soft socks for the poor broken foot, and I wholeheartedly agreed.





In the spirit of October and in preparation for Halloween and Trick- or -Treaters I got this black cat sign with rainbow LEDs that flash and alternate in a way even better than I was expecting. It'll be turned on during Halloween facing out the front windows so kids know we'll be giving out candy in our pumpkin-shaped bowl. We're a black cat family so I can't really resist black cat themed decorations, and October is the perfect season to snag them on sale.


Certified Black Cat Approved!

No comments: