Sunday, October 28, 2018

Blogger Tag: 10 unusual things



Today I'll be doing the 10 Unusual Things About me tag! I was tagged tagged by Anne Carty, whose post on it can be found here and by Ruth Skelley, whose post can be found here. I really enjoyed reading their answers and seeing the unusual facets of my friends and fellow bloggers that I didn't know about and sometimes wouldn't expect!


Here are mine: 





No. 1- different colored eyes




This is called sectorial heterochromia iridium. It made me feel weird as a child and it's not  really nice embracing something that people's first reaction is "Oh, like a dog?" (although it was better than "four eyes") 

But over the years I've learned to accept that it makes me unique and special, which is why I'm considering it one of my nicest qualities and putting it first! Although I still mostly see it referenced talking about David Bowie (not heterochromia) and animals. So I'm still in competition with white cats and sled dogs :/


My eyes often pass as blue but are sometimes more pronounced depending on what color I'm wearing.



It usually doesn't photograph well but I once during my career of having better cameras I managed to catch a pretty high res picture of the coloration- but it's a gooby-eyed picture that freaks me out a little to look at.









No. 2- I knit like a grandma




Okay, so this one is partly because it was my grandma taught me how to knit and sew when I was little, but also largely because I'm a huge fidget and I discovered a while ago that knitting allowed me to fidget while also feeling productive and I could end up with wearable things after.

Over the years I've gotten better at it and it's become a big hobby of mine and although it feels a little vain to say, I've gotten good at some things and I get compliments from older ladies when I'm seen knitting in waiting rooms and things like that.






No. 3- Too many hobbies

After starting to go to school for photography and then painting, I didn't jump into a specific art career so I've spent the last few years trying avariety of hobbies- linoleum stamping, fluid pouring, knit and crochet, digital illustration, abstract art, portrait drawing, card making, sewing. This means my apartment is full of all sorts of odd things at any given time (but somehow I always end up having to run out for something).







No. 3- Graduating in a barn

Yep, I graduated in a barn where the town/state holds horse & tractor pulls (an event where horses and heavy machinery compete to drag concrete blocks across the floor).






No. 4- Country Roads






I grew up on dirt road with stone walls across from a field that used to be a sheep farm. There was a gate that at one point latched closed into a hole drilled into a big rock beside it that my brother told me a snake lived in that would bite my finger if I poked one in there so I never dared to.











No. 5- My Autoimmune disease


I have been taking artificial thyroid hormones for poor thyroid function since the age of 7 (along with both my parents and my brother having low thyroid function as well) and when I was 17 I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is an autoimmune disease that affects endocrine function. Because the endocrine system regulates the hormones that the body uses for mood stabilizing, temperature control, skin and hair health and much more, my Hashimoto's affects other areas of my health and causes me to rely on an often-changing regimen of daily medication for my whole life. This past year I began the process of controlling my autoimmune disease through diet & exercise and started on the Autoimmune Protocol diet, and working with a nutritionist. But it's a long process, and I will still need to take my thyroid meds and specific supplements to avoid vitamin deficiency, especially as winter approaches. 

The meds I have to take. This selection is actually pared down from the 9 I had to take daily in the past few years.




No. 6- My Travels

I am always amazed and at least a little jealous when I visit travel blogs and see my fellow bloggers write about their adult travels, because I have never been financially stable enough to do that sort of traveling on my own.
I have traveled to 26 states and to UK and Mexico, but not through having a lot of money or independence (though I have been privileged in my life and don't deny where I have benefited from it). Growing up, I went on many road trips and was able to travel through church missionary aid, family friends living abroad, getting bumped on flights, and trips my mother was able to take us on. A little while after my parents got divorced and we didn't have a place to live, my great aunt died and left my mom some money in stocks, which she was able to use the to buy us a house and take us on a few trips, which is how we began getting double-bumped and being offered free travel vouchers. Because of this, we were able to go to the Grand Canyon, Disney World, and San Diego. So, by the time I was a teenager I had been on many planes and had 2 passports, which I still have and giggle at my silly younger faces.




Apaxtla, Mexico 2005




No. 7- Frission

Frission is the ASMR-like response to strong emotional stimuli that causes tingling sensations and goosebumps down the base of the neck and the arms, and in some people the legs, and causes the hair to stand up on end.
For me it's always been from music and a big part of why specific songs mean so much to me, but recently also happens when writing poetry or reading a particularly awe-inspiring piece of writing.









No. 8- Cat Ladyship

This one's not so unusual, especially if you've met me and seen my personality and discovered my love for cats and mostly useless store of cat trivia.
I've always adopted cats, the ones I had growing up were either re-homed from neighbors and friends whose cats had kittens, or rescued from somewhere (in my case from beneath the woodshed where they had been stashed but mumma cat hadn't come back to in a while... there were fisher cats and coyotes around 😢)


Both of the cats I have now are adopted, and my fiance and I didn't know what color they were before picking them up. After seeing the first one in person, I laughed and said it figured that a heathen like me would end up with a black cat, and when we arrived to pick up the second one and it was a little black kitten we just embraced it and became the black cat family.











No. 9- My love for cacti/cactuses/cactopodes 😝

I've always loved the warm atmosphere of a sun room, and I think this stems from spending time at my grandparents' house when I was a child. They had a big garden and sunny windowsills lined with different types of cacti and houseplants, and a sun porch with comfy 80s patterned chairs and a wicker basket of picture books- some nursery rhymes and some books of wildlife photography. 



I have a love for all cacti, hope to one day have a succulent garden with cacti of every color of the rainbow, and desperately want to visit the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix.





No. 10- The Pink Glasses


Although I do look absolutely awesome in these, the pink glasses not just a style choice. They're for blocking out some of the light for migraines that trigger photosensitivity. While these are just sunglasses frames with the heaviest tinting option and UV/polarizing coating (Thanks Zenni!) there are some places you can get red tinted lenses specifically for migraine photosensitivity. Here are two links on the topic
https://www.theraspecs.com/blog/tinted-glasses-for-migraines-research-shows-fl41-tint-is-better

https://www.axonoptics.com/





Who's Next?

I tag these amazing bloggers to share 10 unusual things about themselves!

thepatchworkfox.com

nicoleeloise.wordpress.com

imogenchloe.co.uk

ellieslittleworld.com



prettystyleofliving.wordpress.com








3 comments:

Sophie said...

I love posts like this! It's important to celebrate the quirks too! I love different coloured eyes, it's so pretty! x

Sophie
www.glowsteady.co.uk

Earthboundstars said...

Thank you! I agree, our differences are what make us so interesting as people!

The Rolling Twenties said...

You are amazing! I loved learning about you! Your different coloured eyes are beautiful. They show a beautiful soul. I love how you don’t have one hobby! Having many hobbies is the best! Your cat is so cute! I really think you are a wonderful person! 😊💜xxxxx