Thursday, October 18, 2018

Blogtober Day 18: Break Day & Paintings



Hello! I want to thank you guys for following my posts as I make my way through Blogtober. Today's not exactly the halfway point, but I'm picking today as a mental health day and not going to push myself to write up something in a hurry.

Blogtober is a big undertaking and while I don't regret choosing to do it, the task of reviewing movies and TV specials means the process of one post involves usually an hour of watching something and making notes, then writing up drafts and either finding or creating the photos I need in between them.

Yes, it's not a lot to have to do in a whole day, but to have to do every day when I often have other things to do like get to appointments, hobble to the laundromat, send out art pieces/packages means that often it's left til late at night and then I either have to write up a quick tired-brain draft to edit in the morning or I leave it and sleep, and hurriedly write up the post the next day and hope it doesn't come out too late in the day where people won't see the tweets and notifications about it in the rush of other things to look at.

I would start early in the morning, but as it's New England in the fall and I'm a very stereotypical starving artist and broke spoonie, I'm a little at the mercy of when others want to wake up as we only have one heater that we move from room to room throughout the day. 

Plus, while I'm enjoying Blogtober and the topics I get to write about, I do miss posting about my art and coming up with posts that tie in art to the rest of my life and interesting facets that I think will be fun to read about, so on my sort-of day off I want to show you some recent paintings I finished.

Yesterday I went and got some new supplies, some for painting and drawing commissions and some for commissioned knit pieces (I'm busy this Fall!), and was able to get in some practice with swirl pours. Currently these are the only pieces I have from experimenting with fluid acrylics-


This one is my first & favorite. The white and black swirls are in a matte paint but the silver is a metallic paint that gives this painting a cool shimmer when you see it in the light.





I'm not sure how I feel about the two checkerboard pieces, as I think where I went wrong was going into it having expectations of what I wanted the end result to be. Neither of them are really as I envisioned this project, but neither of them are really failures at drip/pouring art. They're funky and they were pretty fun to make.






































No comments: