Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Blogtober Day 9: The Flawsome Awards & Some Old Fashioned Spooky


Today for Blogtober I'm reviewing an Abbot and Costello movie that fits the spooky Halloween theme! I grew up watching collections of Laurel & Hardy and Abbot & Costello films and have always appreciated comic duos that are able to play off one another's personality and differences. There are a few movies of thiers that I want to review for Blogtober, but today I will just be mentioning "Abbot and Costello meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde".

In this one Abbot and Costello start out as bumbling cops trying to control a riot that sprang up at a women's suffrage demonstration in London. They get beaten up by suffragettes and then fired from the force, so they want to hunt down the infamous monster that's been seen around the city. Little do they know, that monster is the esteemed scientist Dr. Jekyll!
There's a very spooky, almost Dracula's castle feel of Jekyll's house, with secret doors, underground laboratory, and creepy silent servants.

The costuming is both great and awful in that the suffragettes all have fantastic hats, but the horror special effects of the monster masks give away just how early on in movie makeup and SFX these movies really are.




The Flawsome Award

I was also nominated for the Flawsome Award by Anne Carty of Forever the Wanderer blog and Ruth of the Rolling Twenties blog. See their posts on the award at foreverthewanderer.ie and therollingtwenties.com

The award & tag are created by Sophia Ismaa

The Rules

Link back to the creator.
Display the award.
List 3 flaws and turn them into strengths.
Tag other people.
My first flaw- My struggles

My story involves a lot of struggle, with both my physical & mental health and having seen & lived through trauma. It affects me every day and I fall into a cycle of struggling that keeps me from improving if I'm not very careful.
While it's hard and irrevocably changed who I am as a person, it's allowed me to be more understanding to people in similar situations, and be more sympathetic and able to help my friends who are struggling because I know some of how it feels.

Second flaw- My constant wellspring of new ideas

My mind is constantly churning up fresh ideas, reworking old ones, and anxiously going over every possibility it can come up with for what could (and really couldn't) happen in life. It's lead me to many unfinished and abandoned projects, but also allows me to distract my friends when they're in the midst of a panic attack by babbling on about anything & everything. 




Third flaw- Being Miss Fidget


Being an anxious fidget, I need to have my hands busy working on something to occupy and distract my brain basically at all times. It took a lot of leg-jiggling, preferring rocking chairs, swivel chairs, and gliders to being stationary, and dancing to music that's only stuck inside my head to settle on knitting and crocheting basically every day to keep myself occupied. 

I'm very impatient, and unlike how I hear many people describe knitting, it's not the process alone that I find soothing and enjoyable. I often have to be knitting while doing other things that keep my attention, though if it's a difficult pattern I'm doing I'll often get lost quietly in figuring it out for a while without paying attention to anything else. I love having something that I've made, something that makes all those hours of fidgety distracting work fruitful, and that I can wear and know that instead of buying it, I created it myself from a ball of string. 

What started as a way to keep occupied led to me getting comfortable with the skill and then, once bored, trying new and adventurous techniques beyond my skill level. In most other things after failing once or twice I would give up, but with knitting I can almost always take it out and make a better attempt of it the second time, knowing then what I could have done better in the first run through. It's been a good 10+ years of this, and although I don't brag about many things other than having the cutest cats on the world, daily practice and trying many techniques has gotten me to be pretty good at knitting and I can look on a lot of my projects with pride.



Bloggers I nominate for this award-

Here they are, in alphabetical order by Twitter tag because that's how it is, deal.

sophieblogslife.wordpress.com

charlotteunderwoodauthor.com

prettystyleofliving.wordpress.com

BeardedIgor.wordpress.com

dadfatherblog.wordpress.com

amysbooketlist.blogspot.com

nicoleeloise.wordpress.com

reflectionsandramblings.org

ourchaoticmess.com










4 comments:

The Rolling Twenties said...

YOU ARE AMAZING! I really love this blog post. You lay out your flaws and you have turned them into strengths. Whatever trauma you have been through, it has made you a stronger and wonderful person. Never change. I am very impressed with your knitting! You are awesome at knitting! I can’t knit.I will learn one day! ♥️
Remember you are awesome, amazing and funny. We Earthbound Stars I am thrilled you are my friend. 😊💜xxx

Earthboundstars said...

Ruth you are a blessing to have as a friend 💜
Knitting has been really great for me and it's the perfect season for learning! It's easiest to learn with chunky yarn that makes thicker projects, and chunky scarves and hats are going to be in style til Spring!

Carly Tamara said...

I'm a massive fidget, the same as you!! Such an amazing tag! thank you so so so much for nominating me. I will definitely include this in my Blogtober series. Can't wait to take part!

Carly xx // www.prettystyleofliving.wordpress.com

Sassy Southrn Ma said...

Thank you so much for nominating me! My past has definitely helped shape me, too. This was such a fun post to do!

Lena // www.ourchaoticmess.com